Friday, May 25, 2012

My 3-week recovery from the Colorado Marathon is over.   This morning I graduated from recovery with an 18-mile run.  Felt good.  No problems.  On Sunday, I begin my train-up for the August 18 Pikes Peak Ascent. 

With the Pikes Peak Ascent coming up, I consulted a trainer about step-up exercises to help me prepare for the final 1-2 miles of the race.  I did several of the exercises this morning following my long run.  The race website encourages that you do step-ups following long runs to prepare for the series of step-ups near the end of the race when you will have tired legs. 

Here's an excellent story about the search for legendary ultra runner Micah True, who disappeared while running  in the rugged Gila Wilderness of New Mexico in late March:  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/21/sports/caballo-blancos-last-run-the-micah-true-story.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

If you're looking for something unique, check this out:  http://thecolorrun.com/ 
It's a 5K race and is being run at sites across the country.  Runners are asked to wear a white shirt.  Along the way, volunteers throw colored dust (red, yellow, pink, and purple) on the passing runners.  The website has a video.  Check it out.  Looks like fun.  Maybe there's one close to you.

If you're a shoe junkie like I am, you'll be interested in this announcement:  http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/05/22/brooks-announces-puredrift-a-new-minimal-shoe/ 
Looks like Brooks is extending the PureProject to include a super-low weight shoe: the 5.6 oz. PureDrift.  It'll be available in January 2013.  Brooks also is updating the entire PureProject line with the PureFlow 2, etc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment