Sunday, June 10, 2012

Me & Anton (Krupicka) . . . Maybe

Another week is in the books, and I believe that I'm making solid progress toward my twin goals for the remainder of the year: 1) the August 18 Pikes Peak Ascent and 2) the September 15 North Face Endurance Challenge.  In addition to hill repeats early in the week, I did speed work on Friday and ran trails on Saturday.  It was my first time on trails for a while and I need to do much more of that this summer.  Both of my target races are on trails.

I did the trail workout in my new Asics Gel-Fuji Racers.  I really like them and expect that they will become my go-to trail shoe instead of the Saucony Peregrine.  I have nothing against the Peregrines.  I wore them to run last year's North Face Endurance Challenge 50K and had no problems.  It's just that the Fuji Racer is lighter and has a 6mm drop from heel to forefoot that works better for me.  The Peregrine has a 4mm drop.  I can run in shoes with a 4mm drop but prefer shoes with a 6-9mm drop. 

This week's focus is on a long run--22 miles.  Right now, the best day (weather-wise) for it looks like Wednesday.  Even then, I'll have to get up at 0 Dark Thirty to beat the heat.  It's summertime in Hog Heaven. 

Ultra star Anton Krupicka hopes to end over a year of forced idleness--due to injuries--at this July's Hardrock 100.  The better news--from my standpoint--is that he hopes to use Hardrock as a springboard to the Pikes Peak Marathon in August.  Since I'm running the Pikes Peak Ascent, perhaps I'll get to meet him.  See here for an account of Krupicka's injuries and recovery:  http://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/profiles/article/372-tony-krupicka-is-missing-in-action

Here's Krupicka's own account--with awesome photos--of a recent mountain run in the Ten Mile Range near Breckenridge, Colo.: http://wpblogs.runningtimes.com/blogs/antonkrupicka/2012/05/27/ten-mile-traverse/ 

Everybody knows about the Kenyans' success at distance running.  Here's an inside look at their less-celebrated Ethiopian neighbors and competitors:  http://running.competitor.com/2012/06/features/the-air-up-there-a-look-into-ethiopias-distance-running-legacy_53259

No comments:

Post a Comment