Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The heat is on

The past week has been a tough slog here in Hog Heaven.  We've consistently had temps in the mid- to upper 90s along with ample humidity.  Running has been a challenge to say the least.  Unfortunately, it's not going to get any better in the short term.  The Weather Service is predicting that similar conditions will continue over the coming week.

Despite the conditions, I've managed to get in all my scheduled training runs including an 18-mile long run on Monday.  (As it turned out, eighteen was about my limit.  Unless the weather breaks, I don't know what will happen week after next when I have twenty-four scheduled.)  I've stayed on schedule by getting up at 0 Dark Thirty to beat the heat.  I was out the door on Monday morning at 4:06 a.m.  This approach works for me because I'm able to take a nap in the afternoon.  Others aren't so lucky.   It could be worse, of course.  Unlike those poor folks on the east coast, we have power.  And unlike the people of Colorado Springs, we aren't battling wild fires. 

I spent quite a bit of time over the past week watching the Olympics Trials: track & field, swimming, and a bit of gymnastics.  I'm now primed for London.  As we get closer to the Opening Ceremony, I'll have some comments on my favorite competitors and their events.  Stay tuned.

Here's more good news for us coffee freaks.  A new study shows that regular consumption reduces the risk of heart failure by 11%.  See more here:  http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/06/29/drinking-coffee-may-lower-heart-failure-risk/

Okay.  So, I'm a dirty old man.  Anyway, isn't minimalism all the rage in running circles these days?  If minimalist shoes work for many runners, why shouldn't minimalist shorts work for those who can wear them?  If that's you, check out these styles:  http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/ruap/bootyful-short-shorts-for-fearless-femmes/

No comments:

Post a Comment