Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Day After

It's the day after my latest long run: yesterday's 15 miles.  Although I labored during yesterday's run, I felt fine this morning for my cross training.  Cross training, of course, equals active recovery.  Since the weather continues sunny and unseasonably mild--cooler than the last couple of days, but still not bad--I did a five-mile walk/hike to and thru a local park.  Whatever benefit it did for my training, it was great fun being out and about on an early January day.  This incredible winter weather has to end some time, but until it does, there's nothing to do but revel in it. 

I've been thinking about time goals and speed work recently, and it represents a quandary.  On the one hand, despite my age, I'm still competitive.  So, it's never enough to just finish.  (At least in the anticipation.  Often in the running, finishing is good enough.)  I'm always setting time goals.  For this spring's Colorado Marathon, I've set 4:30 as my goal.  That's relatively modest, but it would have won an award in my age-division at the 2010 Colorado Marathon.  On the other hand, the running workout that I enjoy most is the long slow run.  Yeah, I know.  To all you whipper-snappers out there, 4:30 sounds like a long slow run.

Time goals, even modest ones, require at least some speed work.  And, I'll do it.  But, I won't like it.  Jeff Galloway, whose marathon training regimen is aimed most directly at those seeking to finish, discourages speed work--especially for older runners.  It's the quickest way to injury, he warns.  But, bowing to reality and runner ego, he includes advice and training programs for runners with time goals.

I think that what I find most intriguing about ultra marathons is that there is no higher goal than finishing.  At least not for average runners.  Speed takes a backseat to endurance.  One of my favorite ultra runners, Geoff Roes, argues that in ultras leg speed is among the least important factors.  Geoff, who set a course record in the 2010 Western States 100 (and was featured in the documentary about the race:  Unbreakable: The Western States 100), claims that strength, endurance, patience, stubbornest, and determination are all more important than leg speed.  See Geoff's blog at: http://www.akrunning.blogspot.com/ 

All this gives me pause when thinking about a long race for the fall: should I choose marathon or ultra?  Right now, I'm leaning toward ultra.  For the long slow miles!  Plus, if Geoff is right, ultras play to one of my strengths: stubbornest.

1 comment:

  1. You do too much of what you want to do, not what you need to do. What you WANT to do the least is what you most NEED to do. I've told you what you need to do; it's up to you to just do it.

    ReplyDelete