Monday, January 9, 2012

Sad but true

Our amazing weather in Hog Heaven, a.k.a., Iowa, continues.  Today is sunny with temps in the 40s.  Our average highs this time of year are around 30.  It was already 37 when I went for my walk this morning.  Since the ground is dry, I headed to the local park for a hike on the cross country trail.  The loop from my house to and thru the park and back home is five miles.  Just about right for a day of cross training.  The weather service is promising another gorgeous winter day tomorrow: sunny with a high topping 50 degrees.  If my body is up to it, I plan to do my first hill workout since last November.  Should be interesting.  Overall, this will be an easy week since it follows last week's long run.  My usual hill workout is 6 x .5 miles.  Jogging downhill adds 3 miles.  Throw in a one-mile warm-up, and it's a seven-mile day.  I'll follow that with four miles on Wednesday, six on Friday, and five on Sunday.  Thursday will be cross training, and I plan to take Saturday off for a change.  A nice recovery week early in my train-up. 

Having read my opening remarks, I imagine that you're wondering about the "Sad but true" title for this post.  Well . . . While browsing the Colorado Springs Gazette's website this morning, I noticed the following headline: "UK Police Smuggle Fake Bomb Onto Olympic Site."  See the complete story here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_LONDON_2012_200_DAYS?SITE=COCOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The Olympics are supposed to be a celebration.  Of athletic competition.  And, of peace.  Back in the day, the Greeks suspended all hostilities among the city-states during the games.  Munich 1972, of course, showed that we haven't necessarily made much progress in the past 2500 years.  It's a shame.  The British have a lot of practice foiling terrorists.  Let's hope it pays off this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment