Friday, January 6, 2012

Long run

Today was a gorgeous January day for a long run--sunny, light wind, and unseasonably warm.  The temp was already 37 when I started at 8:40 and it was 50 when I finished three hours later.  Despite the conditions, I didn't have a very good day.  Bad days happen, but there's no way to isolate the cause.  I had a single cup of coffee and didn't eat anything before starting out.  That could have something to do with it.  I carried a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (cut into quarters) to eat along the way, but I still bonked.  Live and learn.  I usually try to eat something--usually yogurt--before a long run, but I just didn't feel like eating anything this morning.  I also ran only a minute or so slower than race pace.  Jeff Galloway (Marathon: You Can Do It) suggests that long runs be done at least two minutes slower than race pace.  I try to follow his guidance in this, but apparently went too fast.  Unintentionally.  I was just running at what seemed like a comfortable pace.  Until it wasn't.  Then, it was too late.  But, I persevered and completed the 15 miles. 

Now that I've had a glass of chocolate milk, rolled my calves and quads, and written this blog post, I'm going to soak my legs in a tub of cold water.

Better yet, I'm going to have pizza and ice cream tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment