Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reality Check!

Today was another outstanding winter day here in Hog Heaven.  Of course, all good things must inevitably come to an end, and our run of good weather is about over. (Of course, "good" is subjective.  I'm old enough that I don't like cold and snowy weather.  There are others who enjoy those conditions and might not agree with my assessment of this winter's mild weather.)

For those like me who prefer a brown winter and those wishing for snow, tomorrow's forecast for eastern Iowa from The Weather Channel is a reality check:  "Windy. Snow during the morning will transition to snow showers during the afternoon. High near 20F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 70%. 2 to 4 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph."

In January in Iowa, reality is a snow storm.  What is it that the Navy SEALs say?  "DWI.  Deal with it."

Coming off yesterday's hill workout, I ran 4 easy miles this morning under sunny skies.  If we get the predicted snow, tomorrow's cross training will include snow shoveling in addition to a brisk 4-5 mile walk.  With any luck, the streets and sidewalks will be cleared for Friday's one-hour run.

Any time you sign up for a spring marathon--I'm doing the Colorado Marathon on May 6--you're going to have to train in the winter.  And, for most of those preparing to run in Ft. Collins on May 6, that's going to include dealing with snow storms and bouts of sub-zero weather.  There's no use complaining.  But, occasionally, I probably will.

I saw this story on the Colorado Springs Gazette website this morning and couldn't resist passing it along: http://www.outtherecolorado.com/201201108865/Running/pikes-peak-running-champ-wants-to-tempt-your-sweet-tooth.html
Seems that Colorado runner (and Pikes Peak Marathon legend) Matt Carpenter is selling ice cream in Manitou Springs at the base of Pikes Peak.  Matt admits to having a sweet tooth when ice cream is involved.  I have a similar weakness.  I love ice cream and could eat it every day.  But, that wouldn't be wise.  So, I limit myself to no more than once a week.  Usually to reward myself.

I'm not one to obsess about nutrition.  I love fruits and I like vegetables and I eat lots of them.  So, I'm lucky in that regard.  I also like all kinds of nuts (especially pecans and cashews) and always have some around to snack on.  Except for pizza--which is a staple in my diet--I seldom have fast foot.  Most of this wasn't planned.  It just reflects my likes and dislikes.  It seems to work.  I'm fit and thin.  And, my doc says that I'm healthy (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. all normal).  I can't take all the credit though.  My dad lived to 90 years-old, and my mom is 86 and counting.  I guess the moral to this story is, Choose your parents well.

No comments:

Post a Comment