Monday, February 13, 2012

Does size matter?

Say it ain't snow.  It started to snow while I was on my first cup of coffee this morning.  The snow was (and still is as I write this) light, but that's like putting lipstick on a pig.  It's still snow.  The Weather Service is predicting 2-3 inches between now and tomorrow morning.  Another nuisance.  Likely too much to ignore and wait for warmer temps. 

Since I'm adjusting my schedule to run long on Saturday (and not Sunday), I did a one-hour recovery/maintenance run this morning instead of cross training.  I've moved today's cross training to tomorrow.  Although it was snowing when I ventured out, the wind was light and the temp was 28.  So, not too bad at all.  I set my cruise control on low and just enjoyed being out and about.  For whatever reason, I always feel more virtuous after a run in inclement weather: snow, rain, bitterly cold, hot.  What I should probably feel is foolish.  But, for better or worse, I don't. 

I noticed this news item recently and it set me to thinking: http://www.marathonguide.com/pressreleases/index.cfm?file=ChicagoMarathon_120206

Check it out and you'll find that the 2012 Chicago Marathon opened registration on Feb. 1 and closed on Feb. 6 when it reached its 45,000 limit.  That's 45,000!  That's not a marathon field.  That's a small city. 

I've been in a few races like that.  Nothing that big, but big enough.  Last October, I ran the Army 10-Miler.  They closed registration in a matter of hours at 30,000.  Now, that's impressive.  I enjoyed the event, but I must admit that the crush of runners was not my favorite part.  From start to finish, I was in a crowd.  Even in the final mile, there were runners from curb to curb around me.

Some people love that and treat the race as a moving party.  Nothing wrong with that.  At least they're out there and moving.  And, enjoying it.   Here's another rule to live by:  Never find fault when people are having fun doing something wholesome.

I can tolerate--and have a positive experience--in big crowds.  But, most of the time, I prefer less intimacy.  Last year at the Madison, Wisc., North Face Endurance Challenge 50K, there were times when I could not see another runner.  Okay, it was a trail race and much of it single-track, but the solitude was nice.

One of the (many) things that I like about running is that it can be a solitary activity.  I like people.  I even love some people.  But, I also like my space.  And, plenty of it.  I sometimes enjoy running with others, but only for a while.  Most of the time, I like to run alone with my thoughts.  Almost on auto-pilot.

It's hard to do that in races with huge fields.  There's a local race here in Hog Heaven, the Quad-City Times Bix 7, that draws upwards of 20,000 runners.  I've run it before but not in a long time.  There are so many runners that you can't just relax and go.  You're always braking for slower runners, looking for a crease, and speeding up to slip past.  Only to slow down again.  And, I'm not running that fast anymore!

I like marathons where the field begins to thin out pretty quickly and after several miles you've got your very own space.  It's not exactly solitary.  You overtake and pass runners and are overtaken and passed by others.  After enough solitary miles, I'm even in the mood to chat briefly when passing or being passed.  Maybe in my misery late in the marathon, the idea of company is more appealing.

Fortunately, there are all sorts of marathons out there.  Big, little, and everything in between.  So, everybody should be able to find their very own Goldilocks marathon.  This spring, I'm running the Colorado Marathon.  I'd say that it's "in between."  It's capped at 1000 runners and fills up quickly.  That should allow for plenty of room and relaxed running--just right for enjoying what looks like an incredibly scenic course. 

There are lots of marathon calendars to help you choose.  Here's one:  http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment