Friday, February 3, 2012

The LSD debate, cont.

With a winter storm headed our way here in Hog Heaven, I moved my long run up to today (from Sunday).  The weather was so-so: 33 degrees with fog, low clouds, and moderate wind.  Conditions could have been worse and likely will be this weekend as the big storm out in Colorado heads east.  The Weather Service is reporting this morning that a foot of snow has fallen in the Front Range and sections of I-25 and I-70 have been closed.   That darned Ground Hog!

So, I ran 20 miles at a slow, steady pace--almost exactly two minutes per mile slower than my projected marathon race pace.  Jeff Galloway (Marathon: You Can Do It!) would be proud.   Since I've done Sunday's long run, I'll cross train tomorrow for active recovery: a brisk 4/5 mile walk.  For Sunday, I'll do a 6-mile maintenance run.  Weather permitting, of course.

Last month I discussed the long run--more specifically the long slow run--and the differences of opinion regarding it and its efficacy: http://runningthrutwenty12.blogspot.com/2012/01/lsd-works-for-me.html

As an older runner, I have embraced Jeff Galloway's view of the long run as explained in his marathon training guide Marathon: You Can Do It!  Jeff encourages prospective marathoners to increase their long training run up to and beyond marathon distance (26.2 miles).  Doing so, he says will give one the endurance (and confidence) needed to complete the marathon.  Moreover, by running at a pace that's at least two minutes per mile slower than marathon pace and taking the prescribed walk breaks during the long run, Jeff promises that you'll recover quickly and avoid injury.  So far, it's worked for me as advertised.

Others are less sanguine about the benefits of training runs beyond twenty miles.  Just recently, long-time runner and coach Jeff Gaudette posted a piece at competitor.com that details all manner of ill physiological effects that come with extending training runs beyond twenty miles:  http://running.competitor.com/2012/01/training/is-26-2-miles-necessary-before-the-marathon_46463 

Check it out.  I'm not convinced, but I found the piece worrisome.  I know that I'll pay closer attention to my body as I continue to extend my long run this spring in preparation for the Colorado Marathon.  I want to be as prepared as possible when I toe the starting line on May 6, but above all, I want to do my best running on May 6 and not before.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed my piece on competitor, Tom. While I know it wasn't exactly what you were hoping to hear, getting another perspective is always good when discussing training.

    I've also written another piece about the need, or lack thereof, for long runs more than 20 or 22 miles here: http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/marathon-long-runs/ and here http://blog.runkeeper.com/running-training/the-marathon-long-run-is-overrated that you may find interesting.

    By no means am I trying to change your training in any way, just giving you a new perspective and hopefully some good food for thought on your next long run.

    Best of luck with your training this spring!

    ReplyDelete