Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Super Sunday . . . For a Run

The mammoth winter storm that walloped Colorado and Nebraska wimped out as it crossed Hog Heaven yesterday.  Des Moines got snow--about three inches--but here in eastern Iowa we had a cold rain instead.  Rain is good.  It adds moisture to the soil but doesn't require shoveling. 

This morning dawned sunny and seasonably cold.  Perfect for a Sunday morning maintenance run, and I did a nice, easy 60 minutes.  I'm mostly recovered from Friday's 20 miles and ready for a new week that will include a hill workout and a first speed workout this season.  Tomorrow is cross training before the week's training begins in earnest on Tuesday. 

Jeff Galloway (Marathon: You Can Do It!) recommends that you stop hill workouts once you begin speed work.  I base my training on Jeff's program, but over time, I've experimented with it and found that some things work better than others for me.  I believe that Jeff would approve.  In fact, he offers runners alternatives throughout his marathon-training book.

Last week, I mentioned qualifying for the Boston Marathon: http://runningthrutwenty12.blogspot.com/2012/01/after-sundays-long-run-17-miles.html  It's not really a goal of mine, although I'd be happy to achieve it.  I don't really want to run Boston.  Or, even visit.  For some reason, I've never liked the city.  Just think: Boston traded away Babe Ruth and booed Ted Williams, maybe the greatest hitter in baseball history.  To be fair, Boston did provide the backdrop for "Ally McBeal".  So, if I should happen to qualify for Boston, I likely wouldn't go.  Just meeting the standard would be reward enough.

That said, the organizers of the Marathon (Boston Athletic Association) are raising the bar on qualifying.  Beginning next year, qualifying times for all age groups (both genders) will fall by five minutes.  For youngsters 18-34 years-old, the new standard will be 3:05 for men and 3:35 for ladies.  For the other age group standards see here:  http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/blog/2011/02/baa_announces_new_procedures_f.html

Anyway, the marathon that I most want to run is the Marine Corps Marathon.  It's open to everyone, and while it's sure to sell-out, registration is first-come, first-served.  With that in mind, registration for this year's marathon opens on March 7.   I was in D.C. last fall for the Army 10-Miler, another extraordinary event, and probably won't return this year.  But, sometime soon . . .

I'm also intrigued by the Western States 100, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen for me.  I waited too late to discover ultras.  What might happen is that my son, who ran a solid 50 miles last year in the North Face Endurance Challenge series, will run Western States one year and allow me along as a pacer for part of the race.  I figure that once he's run 60 miles or so and I'm rested and fresh that I'll be able to keep up with him. Of course, that requires him getting into the race, and Western States is more exclusive than Boston.  Much more.   First, you have to run a qualifying race and, then, you enter a lottery.  All for the chance to run 100 miles in 30 hours or less over gnarly terrain and in harsh conditions.  Go figure.

Just remember: This originated as a horse race.  And, lots of the horses didn't make it.

2 comments: