Wednesday, February 15, 2012

R.I.P. 2160 Trail

Today is a nice winter day.  Despite some clouds, the temp is a relatively comfortable 35 degrees and the wind is light.  I set out for a one-hour maintenance run and ended up doing an hour-and-a-half.  Obviously I felt good, but I probably should dial back the exuberance.  It's still too early in the season for that.  Anyway, if Saturday's 22-mile long run goes off as planned, this will be my first 40-mile week in the train-up to the Colorado Marathon. 

Yesterday, I hit 500 miles on my ASICS GT-2160 Trail shoes.  My usual rule--probably as a result of being brainwashed by the shoe companies and their agents at the running magazines like Runners World--is to discard any shoe that makes it intact to 500 miles of service.  The truth is that few running shoes are that durable--at least in my experience.  I love the ASICS GT-2100 series because of their durability, and even though I'm trying to move to a more minimalistic shoe, the GT-2160 (road and trail versions) continues to be my go-to training shoe.  I'm thinking of giving the Saucony ProGrid Guide 5 a try though.  It is lighter than the GT-2170  (the latest iteration of the GT-2100 series) and has a smaller heel-to-forefoot differential yet still offers decent cushioning.  Whether it is as durable as the GT-2100 series shoes is another question.

I never completely retire running shoes that appear to have life left in them.  They get a second life as yard-work shoes.  Waste not, want not.

I say that, but some runners--even elite runners--make me feel like a wastrel.  I was watching "Unbreakable," a documentary on the 2010 Western States 100 ultra marathon a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice elite ultra runner Antony Krepicka's training shoes.  They were gnarly.  What's more, he was shown repairing/altering them by shearing off part of the soul with a knife.  Here's a guy who likely gets all the free shoes he wants and he's wearing these hacked up, beaten down shoes.  Plus, he runs 150+ miles per week without injury.  Go figure.  Maybe my 500-mile rule is too arbitrary.  Just saying . . .

Speaking of shoes:  In addition to the Saucony ProGrid Guide 5, I'm also considering a new trail show, the ASICS Gel-Fuji Racer, and a couple of training shoes: the Altra Instinct for the road and the forthcoming (Fall 2012) Inov-8 Trailroc series for the trail.  I've never run in either Altra or Inov-8 shoes, but I've heard good things about them and would like to try them one day.  You never know when you're going to find another Mr. Good Shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment