Monday, February 20, 2012

Flowing Along

Another nice late-winter day here in Hog Heaven.  It was 30 degrees with bright sunshine when I stepped outside for my morning run.  Today was a one-hour recovery/maintenance run following Saturday's long run and Sunday's cross training.  I felt okay with just a hint of soreness in my quads.  I fully expect that even that will be gone by tomorrow.  This will be mostly a maintenance week with additional one-hour runs tomorrow and Thursday and cross training on Wednesday and Friday.  I'll end the week with a session of speed training on either Saturday or Sunday.  Sunday if the weather cooperates since there's a local race--Chili Chase 4-Mile--on Sunday that I'd like to do.  If inclement weather is forecast for Sunday, I'll do my speed work--6 x 1-mile--on Saturday.  Stay tuned.

At the Amica Insurance Seattle Marathon Expo last November, I picked up (euphemism for bought) a pair of newly-released Brooks PureFlow shoes.  The PureProject series includes four shoes: PureConnect, PureFlow, PureCadence, and PureGrit.   The Connect is the most minimal of the four and weighs in at 7.2 oz.  The Flow adds more support and cushioning and weighs in at 8.7 oz.  The Cadence is the heaviest at 9.5 oz. and offers the most support and cushioning.  The Grit weighs 8.9 oz. and is the trail version of the collection.

I ran in the Flow for the first time today and was impressed.  I liked the light weigh and found the cushioning and support adequate.  The ride seemed especially smooth.  I like to keep my feet close to the ground, and the Flow facilitated that.  Another of my goals is to increase turnover, and the Flow also appeared to help in that regard.  Perhaps the biggest positive for me is the ample toe box.  My feet are wide at the forefoot and are cramped in most shoes.  I'm always battling blisters and calluses.  I don't think that's going to be a problem with Flow.

So, my initial impression of the PureFlow is favorable.  Maybe even enthusiastic.  Certainly hopeful.  But, it is a first impression and comes with several caveats: 1) running shoe flaws have a way of materializing over time, 2) the issue of durability--and given the cost of running shoes, it's a big one--can't be answered after a single six-mile training run, and 3) no running shoe works for everybody. 

As I use the Flow more--including hill workouts, speed training, and long runs--I'll report back on my experience.  With luck, I won't have to backtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment