Friday, April 27, 2012

The Beat Goes On

Yes, it does.  But, not for long.  Another nine days and I'll be lining up along with 1000 of my new best friends at the start for the Colorado Marathon.

After a day of cross training yesterday, I did a one-hour maintenance run today.  And, I'm happy to report that the tweak in my right calf seems to be gone.  With luck, it will not appear again.  The schedule calls for a day of cross training and a 7-mile run over the weekend.  After that, it's all downhill to the marathon: 2/3 slow, easy, and short runs next week to complete my taper.  Then, I'll cross my fingers and hope for better marathon weather than the Weather Service is forecasting today. 

If you're as old as I am, you remember Superbowl III.  And, Broadway Joe Namath.   Brash and irreverent, Namath guaranteed that his underdog New York Jets from the upstart American Football League would beat the mighty Baltimore Colts from the established NFL.  Everybody smiled.  That was Joe being Joe.  But Joe delivered a stunning upset on game day.  Now, here are the confident Kenyan women predicting a sweep of the marathon medals at the London Olympics this summer: http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/athletics/Women+marathon+team+promises+clean+sweep/-/1100/1393978/-/69p0jdz/-/index.html

The Kenyan women (and men for that matter) are very good and have to be the favorites.  So, sweeping the medals wouldn't be the upset that Namath's Jets pulled off.  But, I'm sticking with my prediction that American Sharlane Flanagan will knock one of those Kenyans off the medal stand.

Here's another example of the Kenyans' marathon supremacy:  Sports Illustrated in its April 16, 2012 story on the late Kenyan marathoner Sammy Wanjiru offered this remarkable fact: "Sixteen American men have broken 2:10 in the marathon; 38 Kenyans did it in October [2011]." 

No comments:

Post a Comment