Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dog Bites Man II

With two weeks (exactly) to go until the Colorado Marathon, I've finally tweaked something.  My right calf.  I ran a local 5k this morning (as my final speed session before the marathon) in almost-perfect conditions: cool, sunny, light winds.  The race went well, and I finished 2nd in my age group.  I even felt fine afterward.  It was when I started to run home from the race site (c. 4 miles) to get in a few extra miles that the problem occurred.  The pain began about a mile into my slow jog home.  I soaked my legs in cold water when I got home and I'll take it easy for a couple of days.  With any luck, I'll be fine.  Otherwise, there goes four months of training.  Plus, my entry fee.  Marathons and ultras are inherently humbling.  Stay tuned. 

Here's another man bites dog story:  Runners are smarter than non-runners.  Did we need academic researchers to tell us runners that?  Well, no.  But, it's nice to hear anyway.  Check out the latest research here: 
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--14079-0,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment