Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tick, tick, tick . . .

Tick, tick, tick . . . The countdown has begun.  This time next week, the 2012 Colorado Marathon will be history.  I'll be indulging in my favorite guilty pleasures:  pizza and ice cream.   And, contemplating my next challenge: the Pikes Peak Ascent on Aug. 18. 

I did my final serious run this morning: 7.2 miles.  And, close to race pace.  The downside is that I felt a slight tweak again in my right calf.  It started at about mile 2 and went away shortly thereafter.  It was sobering, and I came home and submerged my lower legs in a cold bath for 20 minutes.  We'll see.  I'm going to line up at the starting line next Sunday morning and run as long as I can.  With luck, that'll be 26.2 miles!

This will be my easiest week (if you don't count Sunday's marathon) this year.  I'll cross train on Monday and Wednesday and run 4 miles on Tuesday and 3 miles on Thursday.  Friday will be spent driving from Hog Heaven (Iowa) to Ft. Collins.  Saturday in Ft. Collins will feature the Expo, a little sightseeing, and lots of rest. 

Looks like the weather forecast for the marathon has improved.  It now calls for a high temp of 68 (as opposed to 81 a few days ago) and only a 20% chance of showers.  The only fly in the ointment is the 11 mph wind from the Northeast.  If we can only get those turned around from the Northwest, we'll be in business!

It's hard enough finishing a marathon in a decent time without sabotaging yourself.  Here are some avoidable mistakes that could hold you back:  http://running.competitor.com/2012/04/training/the-5-biggest-marathoning-mistakes_40523

More evidence that a short stride is best: http://www.runblogger.com/

Are you a runner, a jogger, or something else?  Here's a nice affirmation:  http://running.competitor.com/2012/04/out-there/out-there-running-is-running_51457

No comments:

Post a Comment