Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Penultimate Long Run

I took advantage of excellent running weather--overcast skies, light wind, temp in the upper 40s--for my long run yesterday.  I went out intending to do 24 miles, but felt good at 24 and ran 3 more miles.  SLOW AND EASY of course.  Two minutes slower than my projected marathon pace.  How I would have fared at marathon pace is an open question.  The weather can't get any better.  Even for Colorado in early May. Maybe the gradual downhill nature of the Colorado Marathon course will help.  My route yesterday included over 1400' of elevation change.  Half up and half down.  

I took a brisk 4-mile hike today for cross training.  Considering that I ran 27 miles yesterday, I didn't feel too bad.  Just a couple of minor aches.  I don't know if it helped or not, but I soaked my legs in a cold tub for 15 minutes after the run while drinking a large glass of chocolate milk.  Later, I rolled out my quads, calves, and hamstrings.  I figure that such a regimen can't hurt and could help.  

Searchers found the body of ultra legend Micah True, aka Caballo Blanco, Saturday in New Mexico's rugged Gila Wilderness.  True had been missing for four days after heading out for a 12-mile run.  See full story here:  http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/renowned-ultrarunner-micah-true-body-found-by-searchers-in-new-mexico-033112

With the Colorado Marathon coming up in exactly five weeks from today, runners can begin to anticipate the period of tapering before the race.  The idea of the taper is to allow the body (and mind) an opportunity to recover and refresh before the big day.  Mostly by doing less.  No more long runs.  Fewer weekly miles.  Less intensity.  Most taper periods begin two or three weeks before race day.  I like three weeks.  Old joints and muscles need the most TLC.  Most marathon training guides include a taper period in their training schedule.  These differ in details, of course, so as always, everyone needs to find what works best for him/her.  Here's a brief intro to the marathon taper:  http://running.competitor.com/2012/03/training/how-to-taper-like-a-pro_50079

No comments:

Post a Comment