Saturday, March 24, 2012

Channeling Imelda Marcos

It's been more like early spring here in Hog Heaven over the past two days with high temps in the 60s.  That's still above average though.  Our average temp for today is 53 and our average low is 32.  But, we've been about 10 degrees above average since Dec. 1 so this feels about right.

I ran a speed workout yesterday.  3 x 1-mile at 5k pace.  Add in a mile of warm-up and 3 miles of cool-down and my total run was 7 miles.  Today, I did a brisk 4-mile hike and 8 sets of 25 push-ups for cross training.  Tomorrow's schedule calls for a 1 1/2 mile maintenance run.  Slow and easy. 

Next week's schedule includes my penultimate long run in the train-up to the Colorado Marathon.  After bonking on my last long run, I'm hoping to do better this time.  My goal is 24 miles.  I'll also do three maintenance runs (1 to 1 1/2 hours) during the week and three days of cross training.

I channeled my inner Imelda Marcos this past week and ordered two new pairs of running shoes: a pair of INOV-8 Roclite 285 and a pair of New Balance MT 110.  Both are trail shoes and were purchased to celebrate my decision to register for the Pikes Peak Ascent and the Madison North Face Endurance Challenge 50-Mile.  The NB MT 110 is a lightweight shoe and I hope to use it on Pikes Peak.  If it works out over 13.32 vertical miles, I'll consider it for North Face.  I plan to use the INOV-8 for training on the local trails in preparation for both Pikes Peak and North Face.  I also have the Saucony Peregrines that I ran in at North Face Madison last fall to use for training this summer.

There's one other shoe that I'm seriously considering for purchase later this year: the Saucony Kinvara 3 that debuts May 1.  The Kinvara 3 will replace a pair of the Kinvara 2 that won't last the summer.  A trail version of the Kinvara, the Kinvara TR, will be out in July.  But, I'd like to take a look at it and read a few reviews before adding it to my wish list.  There's also an intriguing lightweight shoe from Salomon, the S-Lab Sense, coming out this summer that might be worth a look.  I'm afraid that at 6.5 oz., it won't offer enough protection or durability.  But, it's worth a look anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment