Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The rest of 2012

The calendar finally says spring, but the weather outside here in Hog Heaven has been shouting spring for some time now.  Today's forecast high temp of 81 degrees will make this the sixth straight day of record highs here.  It's supposed to cool down a bit later this week, but temps will remain well above average for this time of year.

Today, I did a hill workout: 6 x .5 mile hill repeats at a 5K effort.  I'm pretty pleased with the result.  Tomorrow will be a one-hour recovery/maintenance run, and Thursday will be cross training.

It's a good thing that I've been keeping up with my hill workouts this winter.  Yesterday, I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for the Pikes Peak Ascent.  See here: http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/entry.htm
Run in Manitou Springs, Colo., on August 18, the Ascent is the little brother of the Pikes Peak Marathon that is run the following day.  Both run up the east face of Pikes Peak.  The Ascent stops at the summit; the Marathon returns to the start.  The Ascent gains 7815 feet of vertical over 13.32 miles.

The Marathon field closed early in the first day of registration.  Field 1--the competitive runners--closed in 3 hours, 27 minutes.  Field 2--you and me--closed in 1 hour, 1 minute.  The Ascent remains open but is filling fast.  If you're interested, better get going.  The Marathon is limited to 800 runners, and the Ascent is limited to 1800.

There are qualifications for both races.  The Marathon requires an Ascent finish.  The Ascent requires meeting a time standard in a marathon or half-marathon run in the past three years.

I completed my 2012 dance card yesterday by registering for the Madison, Wisc., North Face Endurance Challenge 50-Mile ultra.  See here: http://www2.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/

I ran my first ultra--the 50K--at last year's Madison North Face Endurance Challenge so this will be a homecoming of sorts for me.  The North Face events also have registration limits, but it's early yet for Wisconsin (races are September 15-16).  If you want to join me there, you still have plenty of time. 

The Pikes Peak Ascent will be the first time I've raced above tree line.  North Face Madison will be 19 miles longer than I've ever run before.  Life's an adventure.  Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment