Saturday, March 3, 2012

Running thru March Madness

Yesterday: The day after . . . my long run . . . was encouraging.  I had just a hint of soreness in my quads and a bit of lingering fatigue, but that was it.  I celebrated with a brisk 3+ mile walk.  Call it active recovery.

It was good that I got out early though.  After lunch, Mother Nature showed up to remind us that it's still winter with three inches of wet snow.  Considering what She visited on other parts of the Midwest and South--deadly tornadoes--I'm not going to complain (much) about a little snow.  But, it did make this morning's one-hour maintenance run a bit sloppy.

The better news is that after a couple days of below average temps and gray skies (today and tomorrow), the weather is forecast to warm up considerably with a high temp in the upper 50s by Tuesday afternoon.  Can you say, "Spring Fever?"

Back to today's run: I felt fine with no lingering issues from Thursday's long run.  Nevertheless, I took it slow and easy.  Actually, very slow and easy.  Tomorrow calls for another one-hour maintenance run and maybe I'll step up the pace a bit. 

March is one of my favorite months.  Spring officially begins.  The boys of summer are limbering up down in Florida and Arizona preparing to take center stage next month.  And, the boys of winter exit the stage with the excitement that is the NCAA's March Madness.   I was never much of a basketball player.  In-between height: 6'0".  Not enough quickness to compensate for in-between height.  Weak going to my left.  I'm also not much of a fan.  Except, of course, at tournament time.  And, then, only the NCAA.  The NBA could disappear and I wouldn't notice. 

The NCAA has done a great job promoting March Madness, but it helps that they have a great product.  What intrigues me most is the very real possibility that almost anything can happen.  "Almost" because I don't think a #16 seed has ever upset a #1 seed.  Everything else has happened.  That promises the possibility that it can happen again.  Every year seems to elevate a Cinderella.  Or, two.  Last year's Final Four included Virgina Commonwealth and Butler.

I became a fan of March Madness in 1979 when upstart Indiana State, led by Larry Bird, made it to the championship game against Big Ten royalty Michigan State and Magic Johnson.  Indiana State lost on the scoreboard but won in the hearts of fans.  My new-found interest was confirmed once-and-for-all in 1983 when the underdog North Carolina State Wolfpack, coached by the irrepressible Jim Valvano, stunned the basketball world by winning the title.  If I recall correctly, NC State only made the tournament field by winning the ACC tournament.  They had finished third in the final conference standings with a mediocre 8-6 record.  In the NCAA tournament, they won four of their six games by two points or less.  Valvano, of course, later died of cancer following a courageous year-long battle.

Who will be this year's Cinderella?  How about Iowa State from the Big 12.  And, Hog Heaven.  They have to be invited to the dance first, but that shouldn't be a problem for a team that's 21-9 and 11-6 in a tough conference.  But, you never know.  Deserving teams are passed over every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment