Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Running Potpourri

Our roller coaster weather this week is a clear indication that it's spring-time in Hog Heaven.  Yesterday was overcast and chilly.  Today is sunny, windy, and warm.  For yesterday's 1 1/2 hour maintenance run, I wore two layers on top, light mittens, and a light stocking cap.  For today's 1 1/2 hour maintenance run, I wore shorts and a short-sleeve top that I ditched after 4 miles.  I'm not ready to predict what I'll wear for tomorrow's one-hour maintenance run.

The big news is that I've moved my long run to Saturday.  So, Friday will be cross training.  Saturday, I'll try to do 24 miles again.  Two weeks ago, I bonked at 20 miles while attempting 24.  So, the pressure is on.  Right now, it looks like Saturday's weather will cooperate with sunny skies, light wind, and temps in the 50s and 60s.

POTPOURRI

I'm officially in the Pikes Peak Ascent.  To qualify one must submit race results from a qualifying marathon or half marathon run within the past three years.  There are time limits but I forget exactly what they are.  I do know that they aren't very stringent though.  Once the race staff has checked and confirmed the qualifications, then your name appears with a "Yes" on the confirmation list.  Once I was officially in, I made reservations at a bed-and-breakfast in Manitou Springs, site of the Ascent and Marathon, for the weekend of August 17-19.  We've stayed at this particular b&b several times in the past and it's only 1/2 mile from the race's start.  So, I can walk to the start and, hopefully, walk back to the b&b from the finish. 

My shoe order arrived yesterday: a pair of the New Balance MT 110.  I bought them as my go-to shoe for the Ascent.  They are seriously lightweight at 7.7 oz. for a men's size 9.  I tried them on and they feel great on my feet.  I'll check them out on the local trails soon.

I still don't know what I'll wear for the North Face Endurance Challenge 50-Mile in September.  I have the Saucony Peregrines that I used last year.  Now, I also have the MT 110s.  I'd like to take a look at the Saucony Kinvara TR that will be available in July.  I imagine that 50 miles will require more cushioning that the 13.32 miles of the Ascent.  So, we'll see. 

It's probably too early to make reservations for the Endurance Challenge.  Last year, we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Delafield.  It was the race hotel.  The best thing about it is that within a one-mile radius are a Five Guys Burgers & Fries and a Cold Stone Creamery.  What better incentive for running 50 miles? 

No comments:

Post a Comment