Thursday, March 22, 2012

Still dancing

Our spring-like weather continues here in Hog Heaven.  Today is a bit cooler--mid-70s instead of low 80s--and there are showers and storms in the area.  We've had a bit of rain already around lunch, but we could use more.  The forecast is for cooler weather over the weekend but still above average.

I took a brisk 4-mile hike this morning plus some strength training exercises for my cross training day.  I'm not sure how the next three days will shape up.  I need a day of speed work and a one-hour maintenance run to fill out the week, but I'm still watching the weather to see which days work out best.  I'd like to do the speed work tomorrow if the weather cooperates.  Right now, the Weather Service is calling for rain.  

With two rounds of March Madness in the books, I find myself occupying the top rung (1/8) in my son's group on ESPN's Tournament Challenge.  That means little, of course.  There are a couple of big holes in my bracket--the biggest being my decision to pick Vanderbilt for the Final Four.  I knew it was a stretch, but it didn't seem like such a bad idea at the time.  Unless everyone else has similar holes, I don't expect to be leading the only time it matters: following the national championship game.  If Kentucky--my pick to win it all--wins the championship, I have a shot to retain the top spot.  My closest challengers have Syracuse to win.  We'll see.

The biggest surprises so far have been Lehigh (a #15 beating #2 Duke) and Norfolk State (another #15 beating another #2: Missouri).  Who knew?  Well, my son for one.  He actually picked the Norfolk State upset.  But, the problem with picking upsets is that you tend to miss more often than not.  As a result, he trails in the standings. 

I respect Duke coach Mike K#*%&@%z, but Duke?  Not so much.  Missouri is a complete cipher to me.  I do know that they're moving to the SEC next year.  We'll see how that works out for them in football.  Can't you just imagine all those Mizzou fans:  "Oh boy, we can't wait to join the SEC.  Hands down, the most dominant football conference ever.  Winners of the last six BCS Championships.  Where's the downside?"  How about a schedule that includes Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee?  Do Missouri and Texas A&M--also jumping to the SEC--really hate the Longhorns that much?  Now that we think about it, the answer is still, YES!"

No comments:

Post a Comment