Thursday, March 1, 2012

More LSD

So, I did my long run today: 24 miles, LSD.  The weather was neutral: temps in the mid-30s, overcast sky, and light winds.  I ran strong over the first third, faltered in the middle third, and finished strong.  I don't know what happened there in the middle third, but I just kept grinding it out until things improved.  I guess if they hadn't improved, I'd have kept grinding to the end. What can you do?  I'm sure that I stayed hydrated and I ate energy bars (cut into 30/40 calorie chunks) every two miles starting at mile six.  I checked my mile splits on my Garmin watch when I got home, and the middle miles were indeed slower than either the early or late miles.  As that eminent philosopher (and distance runner) Forrest Gump said, "S___ happens." 
                                *******************************************

Here's my dilemma, and I bet it's a common one among runners: I train as if more is better even though I know that's not always the case.  Of course, more is better some of the time.  Worse, others.  The key to injury-free training and racing is recognizing the difference.  Endurance athletes tend to be obsessive.  That's probably what makes them endurance athletes.  It's also what makes them push the envelope.  Maybe it's also what makes them overly optimistic.  I suffer from all of these character flaws.  I've run only one marathon that I can recall that I didn't go out too fast.  And suffer the consequences later.  And, every time, I swore that it'd never happen again.  Until the next time.

I ran two marathons and one ultra last year and was not happy with my any of my times.  When I look at each performance rationally, it's clear that I went out too fast each time.  That suggests (or would to a rational person) that the solution is to restrain myself at the start of this year's races.  But, I can't help thinking that if I train harder, I can race harder and that will equal faster.  So, I'm fiddling with my training schedule for my   first big race this season: the May 6 Colorado Marathon.  Last year, I did LSD once every three weeks after my long run reached twenty miles.  This year, I've been running long every two weeks even though I hit 20 miles four weeks ago.  So far, I feel good.  No lingering fatigue.  No injuries.  But, there are two months to go, and it's too early to celebrate.  So, I'm out there on the edge hoping for the best.  Unless and until I wander over the edge, I'll continue to run long every two weeks until April 15.  Then, I'll begin a three-week taper to May 6.  So, there at the end at least, I'll have three weeks between long runs.

If I run well in Colorado, there's no telling what changes I'll make in my training regimen for the summer.  I've just about decided to sign up for my hometown marathon in the fall: the September 23 Quad-Cities Marathon.  A solid performance--measured against age division rivals--is my goal for Colorado.  And, a reasonable one I think.  But, what runner worth his/her PR is ever content with solid?  We're always moving the goal posts.  Then, we have to think of a way to get there.  And while more isn't always the answer, it's the easiest one.  Stay tuned. 

Let's end this with a cliche that's apropos of runners:

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment